Tuesday, January 29, 2008

2. A Primary School E-Mail Cultural Exchange

Teresa teaches sixth-grade English in Portugal. She began a voluntary, after-school e-mail exchange project between her students and some US students. This after school project was put into her regular curriculum in the following semester. Glenn, who was in Florida, interested in carrying out a student exchange programme with Teresa. Two of them planned and coordinated the exchange programme. Their students exchanged information about Christmas decorations, shopping, etc. Teresa found that students showed great enthusiasm in learning English as a result of this project. They not only improved their English, but also made some good friends through e-mails.

After reading this story, it reminds me of one of my assignment in my undergraduate studies. My tutor provided me some chat rooms to chat with native English people in order to collect some information to write up an assignment about different culture. I found an American to be my subject and we started chatting. Later, we exchanged e-mail and we kept writing to each other through e-mails. After the assignment has been finshed, we still kept on writing e-mails to each other about our daily life. And now, after 10 years, we use facebook to keep in touch. So interesting!

2 comments:

Dora said...

I like this project most! Actually, we can modify it by using video-conferencing. Students could practise their speaking skills as well! ^^

Unknown said...

Hi My Self Shehzad

I love this This Project because currently I am working on this Projet as cultural exhchange Programme between Holland-India- Canada.
so I am searching some schooll for intracting this Project.
You can build thinking ability, GK, IT Knowledge in our
studnet/children so Please reply me. on this ID
and I can send material made by children in each class and I can the Purposal also.
Please contact on this ID
Shehzad789@gmail.com
09351506478